HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official America's Team Thread (19)
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 09:30 AM
wihunter402
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

ORIGINAL: dstubb

I think next year im going to switch to the rages
This is the third deer that i have shot with the Rage 2B. The first two passed through giving me a huge blood trail. This one didn't create an exit wound but i was lucky to still have a nice blood trail. My father in law shot a buck last week with the same head and he didn't get an exit wound either, he also didn't have but a few droplets of blood to follow. Both of our shots were rib shots, we didn't hit the shoulder plate or anything real big for that matter. I am starting to wonder if they are really as good as they are hyped to be. Me and him both shoot a 63lb. draw weight if that helps.
Braodheads are a funny thing. I shot 2 deer with the Wac 'em's and double lunged each one. The damage was NOT what I was hoping for. The blood trail was ok but both deer went over 150 yards. Yes I recoved both but WOW. So I went to slick tricks. My first deer last went great but I nailed a doe later and never got her. All I could see was the front half and she bleed pretty good. Not the heads fault as I never found out where I hit her. It was during out early gun hunt and a gun hunter shot her when she crossed the fence. I didn't want to go over because I did not know the person.

So this year I switched to the Grim Reapers which Matt has been using for 4 years. As I have mentioned he has 9 deer with them and pretty sure all but one has fallen in sight. Nothing has travelled more than 100 yards and the holes are amazing. He hit a 2 1/2 year old buck 3 years ago using a 72 pound xTec with arrow weight of close to 430 grains and passed thru the shoulder blade. To get a pass thru at 20 yards in the shoulder blade was pretty cool. I told him NOT to take that shot anymore because it is not a high percentage shot but it is hard to argue with him about it.