HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)
Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
dukemichaels
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Mike-what was the costly error?
I got lazy Dan. Nothing more.

I'm a fanatic about scent control.. but during this season I've been a little behind with it.

Partly.. it was because my confidence had turned to arrogance. I really was not busted up until then by a single buck for nearly 3 years.. this year I just became lazy and arrogant because of it.

But that 160 SLAPPED me across the face. Now I'm awake again and will not let myself become like that again. I wish a different buck taught the lesson though.[&:][:@]

I'm a human.. it's natural to become arrogant.. especially as a male of this species.

Second mistake was my tree. Although with good scent control it wouldn't have mattered.. but I know the other tree I was eyeing was just better. It accomplished a philosophy better that I have always followed called "hang to kill". That other tree was the "hang to kill" kind.

As far as the dude you met Dano... he sounds like my type of dude. Alot of hunters ignore sign.. and I never knew why. Since.. its a buck who makes sign.

I hunt sign religiously from Sept-end of Oct.

Funnels after that... then food sources in the late season. But always based on sign.

Lets drop some more this weekend gents.