HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hmmm... too many decisions
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
novaman64

Default hmmm... too many decisions

So I am looking to get a Remington 700 SPS Varmint. I am sick of watching money vanish and fattening up coyotes as they are picking off my goats. With that being said I know you cant have 1 rifle that does everything great, but I am looking for 1 rifle that will pretty much get me by with what I need to do. I know that the rifle I want is going to be heavy for deer hunting but I am okay with that.

So the questions is what caliber should I buy it in. I want something that will nail the coyotes from a good distance (300 yards) yes I can still use for the 4 times a year I go deer hunting. Now heres the twist, alot of my friends are starting to go pig hunting, which I might give a shot at. With that in mind the calibers I am looking at are .243, 7mm-08 and .308. I was initially leaning towards the .243 but I am thinkin in might be a little small if I do decide to go pig hunting. The 7mm-08 looks like a nice round but very pricey. So with all that being said, what do I get my new rifle chambered in? Maybe I should go with the 243 and just use the 12 guage with a slug for pigs????