HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 08-09 predator score sheet
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Howler
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 08-09 predator score sheet

I finally got out for the first time this season this morning. Kind of warm, so I planned on going to ranch that I have hunted for many years with plans on putting some bullets on paper, and maybe plinkin' a prairie dog or two, and if I saw any coyotes, I was prepared to do a little callin' too. The prairie dogs on this ranch were wiped out two summers ago by the plague, so I didn't know if there would be any around yet. After talkin' to the rancher, I pulled back out on the road to drive back to the prairie dog town, and from the road I did some glassing across the town and spotted a coyote in the prairie dog town. So I parked the truck and snuck down a draw to get closer, and while I was sneeking down the draw, I spotted whatI figured to be a 2nd coyote further out in the pasture. I got to where I was only about 200 yards from one coyote, and the other was a good 1/4 mile out. I started the stand with some little lip squeeks, could see the far coyote, not the close one at this point, but the far coyote didn't respond at all. After about 3 series of lip squeeks, I was about to pull tweety out, because I wasn't sure if the closer coyote was hearing me either, and about that time, the first coyote came up on an old pond dam, about 65 yards, and I dumped it, and then immidiately went to some ki yi's, as I could see the other coyote running, not away, but across my location, and then it went behind the pond dam also. I did about 3 more little ki yi's and the second coyote showed up on the opposite end of the pond dike, and I dumped it at about 70 yards. When I walked up to the pond dam, I spotted a prairie dog about 150 yards out, so I decided to see if I could plink it, sat down, bang flopped it, and a sceond prairie dog came out of the grass up onto the mound at the same spot, so I plinked it too. My first double double!! After I took my pics., I then walked around a little and plinked 5 more prairie dogs. They aren't thick in this town yet, but they are coming back. After all that, I skipped putting any bullets through paper, as I decided that the rifle must not be too far off from last season.