HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official America's Team Thread (19)
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 PM
AF Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

I told y'all this week was going to be my best chance before the rut and I was right! Got into the stand at whatever time I texted Don and sat down. After a bit a doe, BB, and fawn came out behind me. While they browsed on the meadows edge, 2 more does and a fawn came out in front of me. Then a group of nine more slickheads came out from my right. The young'uns broke into the meadow first and then the adults joined them no more than 25 yards out in front of me. After a short while, I heard a blow way down to my left. Then a deeper blow. They blew back and forth for a few times and then came into sight. There was a itty bitty 4 pointer and a little 6 pointer. They came running into the midst of the does and all the slickheads scattered into the woods. Then a really deep grunt came from the left. I looked between the limbs waiting to see what grunted. He came into view out in the middle of the meadow. I glassed him and he was a wide 8 pointer. His rack extended past his ears at least 6" on each side. I pulled out the range finder and kept it on him. 103 yards, 87 yards, 75 yards in he came. No hurry, just walking and browsing the whole way. At 67 yards, he jacked his head upright and looked off to his left a little. I thought "Is there an even bigger buck coming in?" I glassed in the direction he was looking and didn't see anything. The other two bucks both blew in unison and bolted in opposite directions. The 8 pointer turned and blasted back the same direction he came from. "What the heck?", I thought. I watched the spot big boy was looking before he took off and into the meadow came a coyote. He walked out and began marking territory by scraping the gound with his paws and urinating. If I would have had a shot at him, I would have nailed that low life son of a (insert explicative here). I thought why the heck would that mature buck run from one coyote. Then the other three trotted into the field next to the first. They kind of scanned the area and then trotted off in the same direction the smallest buck went. After a second, the little 4 pointer bolted out of the woods and back across the meadow. I sat there until dark without seeing anything else.[:@]