HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st night out finally WI. Is it ruined? Advice needed or reassurance
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM
jemrami9
Fork Horn

Default 1st night out finally WI. Is it ruined? Advice needed or reassurance

Good evening folks. Well I finally made it into the woods first time this season. It was still kinda warm, low 70's but the bugs werent an issue. I got on the stand around 215 and sat till dark. Here is the scoop. I sat along a ravine that funnels down to a Y shaped creek bed that is fed by a natural spring. Its not very big but it provides very nice fresh running water. I have only rifle hunted out here so this was the first run at bowhunting out here and this spot jumped out at me because it is quite a natural travel corridor that pinches down at the creek bed. Anyway, no action till 530. I small 8pt buck browsed up the ravine right too me. I wasnt going to shoot this guy so I sat and watched as he came all the way directly under my stand. I thoughtI was busted for sure when he looked straight up at me but I sat still and he did not wind me. What do ya know, there is a method to the scent free madness. 2 thumbs up for hunters specialities scent away! Anyway, that deer then browsed below me into the ravine and I watched him for 20 minutes and he faded into the brush. Well shortly after that, the occupants of a cottage maybe 600 yds away came home and you could hear their faint voices in the distance. Nothing major because they were well off in the distance and it was quiet. Well I heard a deer trot up in my direction from below and thinking it was the little 8pt I just sat but to my surprise it was a HUGE12+ point buck! I couldnt believe it. Those voices way down below sent him right up the ravine to me. Well needless to say I was basically caught with my pants down at this point. I did manage to stand up and have my bow ready to draw but the buck ended up right below me just like the 8pt was. I stood still and stared through my stand at this guy and he is looking down at the voices in the distance so I thought I mightget lucky. He worked around the tree I was in slowly and then looked up as I was going to draw. I froze and had a stare down but he was already amped from hearing voices so he decide it was time toleave this side of the ravine. He ran maybe 60 yds and stopped and looked back in my direction and then just walked away. How much damage did this event cause with this buck? Obviously I am turning this area off for the next 15 days at least. Was that enough to ruin this buck for good? I hope not. The rut wont be starting up for at least 3 more weeks so I am leaving that area alone. What do you guys think based on similiar experiences?