HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Rifle "Hunters"/Spider Bull
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Dopler
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk Rifle "Hunters"/Spider Bull

Some of you have picked up on my commentary as partly tongue and cheek; however, I stand by my base argument. I have done a lot of elk hunting.On September 18 of this year, I harvested a small 6x6 with the bow in Wyoming and I have harvested several others in years past. I refuse to hunt elk with a rifle, I consider it fartoo easy and I have far too much respect for elk not give them a chance when manengages a mature bull elk in the hunt.I realize that Colorado is only 20% success but Colorado has a few disadvantages. 1. Large areas of thick dark timber, you will see that in my post I specifically mentioned OPEN COUNTRYrifle elk huntingas the easy prey. 2. Colorado hasa buy over thecounter tag situation sounless you're on a big private ranch, it's slim pickings in Colorado for the most part unless you've found a rare honey hole. (If you have, keep it to yourself as they are rare!)[/align][/align]The place I went this year was a private ranch thathas about a 15% successrate with bow and it has a 100% success rate with rifle. Theguide who runs the land for rifle season told me himself that he feels bad for the elk as they have no chance whatsoever in rifle season. Thesimple fact that this magnificent animal buglesfor thefirst two weeks of rifle compounded with the fact that the animalhas poor long range vision and cannot rely on its keen nose at these rangesmakes it a very easy BIGtarget.I'm notslamming elkrifle hunters, if you're out for the meat, by all means blaze away, I just thinka bull elk taken with a rifle is an easy trophy to take from any quality elkstate that has open country and especially if the statehas drawn tags likeNM, WY, AZ, etc. I'm a hunting advocate but I'm a bigger archery advocate andthis is just my opinion from where I sit. Besides all of this, I don't look good in pink ;-) [/align]