HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spider bull has been killed
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM
CAelknuts
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spider bull has been killed

JNTURK, we were both typing at the same time, so I didn't see your post until after I'd hit the send button. To answer your first question, yes I had a lot of success. I did not kill a bull, but not shooting was my choice. I passed up several shot opportunities at nice 6x6 bulls within very reasonable range. When I showed my son a picture I took of one of the bulls, he asked if I was out of my freaking mind. Who knows, perhaps I was. Letting a 330s class bull walk away when he's broadside at 28 yards isn't something most hunters would do. I did, but don't have regrets about it. I also let a 360s class bull go without loosing an arrow from 22 yards, as he was trotting and I wasn't going to shoot at a quickly moving elk. I probably would have made a clean killing shot, but in my mind, "probably" isn't a good enough excuse to let an arrow fly.

To answer your second question; I don't know what they would or wouldn't do. I didn't talk to them about those things, and didn't see them block any roads. I did see a few of their trucks parked in areas where they were hunting, and anyone could have gone right in there too, if they were so inclined. They certainly weren't blocking any access where I saw them parked. Their trucks were off to the side of the road where anyone could drive past. I did come across a road that was blocked by felled trees. I asked a friend of mine (someone who does live there and is on the mountain a lot)about it, and he told me that he knows the landowner who cut the trees down, that the landowner told him he cut the trees down and why he did it. Honestly, where those trees were felled, anyone could have hunted in there if they wanted, simply by parking their truck and walking on the road. They could have also just driven around to the next road a mile or so away, and come in from the other side, at least until hitting the landowners property from the other side. In summary, I don't know or have an opinion on what they'd do since I didn't see them do any of the stuff that's been alleged. I will say that if anyone had tried to stop me from going somewhere I wanted to hunt, they'd have been disappointed in their efforts. I heard all the same stories that are being said on here before I left, so I was prepared for the worst. I assure you that if anyone had been heavy handed in their efforts to discourage me, they'd have quickly found out they were picking the wrong hombre to intimidate.

I haven't heard anyone else who has alleged this stuff say they've had direct, first hand experience with them doing what's been alleged, either.

I hope that answers your questions.