HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hey what do you think of hevie shot
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 PM
GordonGekko
Fork Horn

Default RE: hey what do you think of hevie shot

ORIGINAL: lakeinX2

In my opinion for 20 gauge guns for kids it is good, it compensates for the bigger steel which hevi shot uses smaller shot that packs a punch meaning more pellets, but in the other hand some not so responsible "shooters" and (some may bash me) get the thought in their heads that "man I'm using HS I can hit him" and shot not so carefully and shoot borderline shots cripleing birds or just flat out educating birds. I have used it before and it is awsome but it does the same damage within my 35yd comfort zone that my steel does, and plus $30.00 for 10ct or $24.00 for 25ct. Be easy just my opinion!
You are absolutely correct that some folks will try "barrel stretcher" shots if they are using Hevi-Shot....those are usually the same folks that shoot kicks high-flyer chokes, Federal Blackcloud, or Kent Fasteel and try those really long shots....I am not knocking any of those products, they all work well but folks tend to think they are going to make them into "bird blasting machines" and take marginal or worse shots....

One thing I don't mention in reference is the effective range of a heavier than steel load, because in my experience the most limiting factor with a shotgun shell is the guy pulling the trigger....there are more folks than anybody wants to admit who cannot consistently make 25 yard shots on a duck...and many of those can't judge the distance properly either...which leads us to the ultimate issue, the most important part of a hunt is the hunter, practice shooting all you can, learn how to judge distance, learn the different leads and you'll find yourself shooting a lot less and enjoying it a lot more.... the advantage Hevi-shot has to me is that it, because of it's pattern density, tends knock birds "dead" more often than steel, and since my dog is getting older and I don't want to risk losing any birds when I shoot two birds I want them both to fall dead, not to fall and be able to dive...she is a good dog and enjoys the chase, but I don't..... this is probably one reason I notice I shoot a lot less with Hevi-shot than steel shot....