HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 PM
DM

Default RE: Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???

ORIGINAL: ColoradoElk

ORIGINAL: DM

I don't need a magnum for elk, and i prefer something bigger than a .243 for deer...

DM
I don't need a magnum for elk either, which is why I chose the .375 Ruger. The 375 Ruger has morevelocity, thus more energy and penetration than the 375 H&H "MAGNUM". Ballistically, the 375 H&H MAGNUM is inferior to the 375 Ruger (not a magnum). If I was sensitive about yourassumptions of "MAGNUMS", I would have to exchange my .416 Remington MAGNUM for the .416 Rigby, which has superior capabilities and is not the MAGNUM you decry. DM, you seem to imply MAGNUM cartridges have superior ballistics to non-magnum counterparts, which is not true (see examples above). Your generic assertations aboutMAGNUMS insinuate a 22 Win Magnum rimfire is overkill for elk due to nomenclature rather than the obvious underlying deficiency in ballistics and violation of law (at least in Colorado).
You know, i've shot a lot of varried big game over the last 50 years... more than most folks will in there life... I don't need to "imply" or "insinuate" anything in my answers, i have no problem writeing exactly what i mean. Also, i don't play "word games" here either, and i'm sure 99.99% of the readers here have no problem understanding what isaidin my post.

DM