HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winchester Power Point vs Silver Tip vs Soft Point Ammo
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Default Winchester Power Point vs Silver Tip vs Soft Point Ammo

I've been shooting 165 grain Winchester Soft Point ammo in my gun and have liked it a fair amount but never gotten it to group exactly like I wanted. Close usually but not exactly like I wanted.

Anyway I tried some Winchester 150 grain Silver Tips as I accidentally bought the wrong thing. The biggest downside to these is they are $23 a box instead of $15 a box. Anyway I kept hearing my buddies saying how they were crap and they didn't like them. Well I tried them and I hit 6 times cutting one hole in another in about a 1" hole with 6 shots in it. That impressed me and was way better than what I've done before. I've done that before with maybe 1 hole then another hitting right there with it but not 6. I really liked this but they all had me convinced that they are too soft.

Then there are the power points which I'm not sure what the difference is between those and the soft points they are in 150 grain also.

Which should I choose? I'm hunting white tail dear and maybe black bear. I want something with plenty of knockdown power. Will the Silver Tips be fine for that? I don't want to miss a dear from using ammo that wont take him down. What about for the bear? Should I just stick with those or should I start trying the Power points in 150 grain?