HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 20 guage or .12 guage slug gun?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM
RugerMike
Typical Buck

Default RE: 20 guage or .12 guage slug gun?

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

The 20ga actuallly outperforms the 12ga accuracy wise. With the 20ga you should be able to get it to shoot to 125 yards easily, and out to 200 if you do some modifications. If you get the Ultra Slug Hunter the gun should be able to shoot to 200 yards if you can do it.
If for nothing else than recoil purposes I would stick with a rifle in the rifle zones.
I'm curious where did you come up with this one? I'm not knocking a 20 or a 12ga, being from Indiana (shotgun only state until a couple of years ago when they allowed pistol cartridge rifles)
I have a lot of experience with both and accuracy is matching the right gun barrel with the right ammo and letting the shooter do their best! That's it plain and simple. There is no one gun, gauge, twist ofrifleing and or ammo that makes the most accurate by it's self it takes a combination of all of the above with a shooter that is consitant( which means practice, practice and more practice. I've had smooth bore shotguns shoot as good and sometimes better than the rifled barrels with the wrong or right ammo. There are no givens or guaranties with any of them, however there is usually a combination with all the variables to make them shoot have way accurate? Just my 2 cents on the discussion.