HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To ATV or not to ATV, that is the question.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM
CAelknuts
Fork Horn

Default RE: To ATV or not to ATV, that is the question.

If used ehtically and within regulations, I think they're ok. The problem is, too many people, way too many, tend to just ride around on them instead of park and actually hunt. Don't ever mistake that riding around on an ATV carrying a bow or gun is actually hunting. I just returned from twelve days of bowhunting for elk on the Monroe limited entry unit, and we saw well over 100 ATV users in that time, it was ridiculous. I and my hunting partner only met one other hunter who didn't have an ATV with him. One day, we were way up in a high basin before daylight, and watched a nice 340 class bull and his cows feed along a high ridge. Shortly after, we could hear two ATVs coming our way. Sure enough, they drove within 300 yards of the elk, but never had any idea they were around. We ran into those guys about an hour later, already headed back down the mountain, when one of them stopped to talk. My first questions was "Do you guys ever actually hunt? Or, do you just ride around on those quads all day?" He chuckled a bit at the point I was trying to make, then I told him about the bull they'd driven right past only an hour earlier.

If you're serious about hunting, you do it on your feet, not riding on your butt for anything other than to get to your area. In my case, I have a pickup for that.