HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
shdwlkr

Default RE: What is your favorite "populist" elk cartridge?

I haven't gone elk hunting yet because I have a set of bad legs that won't let me go places I want and it just costs to much to hire a guide. But if I could I would take either my 270 vanguard with 140 or 160 grain bullet, 30-06 165 or 180 grain bullet, 375 winchester on my 26 inch barrel and 280 grain bullet or my 45-70 with 340 or 450 grain bullet. I have no need for horns so would hunt cow elk as every knows they fall dead easier then the bulls do. I don't shoot much past 200 yards anymore so I have a large choice in firearms. I had a magnum many years ago in 264 and never found anything that didn't fall dead if I did my part. I can't shoot the larger magnums as I am long waisted and they turn me when fired so I went back to the standards and have no problem. I have seen 98 pound women fire the 460 weatherby and do great with them but me I would need a barn door in order to hit the darn thing. OH before someone says I haven't hunted much I have had firearms around for 48 years and I am still learning as we age things jus plain change in what we can and can't do. I might also take my 54 caliber black powder with me.
I am also a newbie here and looking to learn more about elk hunting