HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why I dont like cabelas.
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 AM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why I dont like cabelas.

i do agree i have noticed when i started hunting in ky the local walmart had a huge outdoor area alot of hunting and fishing stuff.
Here there is almost nothing. a few rows. two less then last year. they could get it all on one row if they did not have four sections of the same item.
Everyone that works the sporting goods at the three walmarts i use say walmart is down sizing the hunting fishing stuff if not doing away with it all togather
ORIGINAL: maritime363

this is a tough one, when you factor in that online purchasing has also had a big impact on buying local. not just the big stores. my position is this-- walmart may carry a few things like cleaning kits, maybe some AA shells for skeet at a good price, but thats it. mostly cheaper items and limited selection. Dicks is pretty much same--Cabelas and BPShas the variety of one stop-- buthonestly, its getting to where most of their products are now cabelas brands with some very good quality mixed in. But w the price of gas, etc. it may not be worth the trip there, unless you are out for the day, and have time to take in the whole experience. Online is agood option, unless you are looking for real customer service and support.There are a few good outdoor stores-- that can get anything,keep prices somewhat competitive, but theyget to know you, stand by their products,talk hunting/fishing, etc. Sort of like going to a good mens store vs. an outlet store-- there is a role for both-- But whenit comes tospendingmaking big purchasing decisions, or buying high quality items, you cannot beat the local guy who knows his/her stuff.As long as theydo it right-- and understand that what makes them different is taking careand valuing their customers. If they don't do that, theyre dead. I won't come back. If they do that well, they will bring me back, time and again. I buy occasionally at walmart, quite a bit online (cabelas, beretta,filson, etc.), and support my areagun stops, who know what theyre doing...each serves different needs.