HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I Need Advice on a Tower Stand
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Tigerfan

Default RE: I Need Advice on a Tower Stand

A few things that you will need to ask yourself and that I ask myself every year when it comes to building stands.

1. Will I move this stand within 3 years?
2. Who all will hunt this stand?
3. Would it be better to buy a stand in the long run.

Sometimes I build other times I buy. I have wooden blinds and plastic blinds. As I get older I am coming to the realization that if you don't own the land it, it most likely better to buy. They last longer, and are easier to move.

If you do decide to build, make sure that you double rung your ladder especially if you are going to have kids climbing on it. It may cost you a few more $ on 2x4's but, in the long run you will be much better off. I double rung every ladder that I build, it allows for better support for my boots when it is wet and nasty outside. Also if you are going to hunt 2 people build a 4x6 blind, I have found that this is better than hunting a 5x5. I have several 5x5's and would rather hunt a 4x6.

i don't have any blue prints on stands. They are not hard to build. Just rip some 2x4's into 2x2's for your wall supports and remember you will need to stand at some point to stretch your legs. Do not build a flat roof so that the water will be able to run off. You can buy a roll of roofing material at Lowes or your local roofing supply to cover the wood. You can also get creative, build shelves in the corners so that you can put your thermos, heater, bino's, range finder, etc.... You may want to put carpet in the bottom to allow for quieter movement, you can also put this on your shelves. I like a full door rather than a half door.

Bottom line on building your own stands is not to go cheap especially if your kids are involved.