HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why I dont like cabelas.
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 04:21 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why I dont like cabelas.

what is wrong with that. it is called capitalism. one of the base rights of this country. I am not going to pay 50% more for something just because some small shop localy owned sells it. I drive right by the local shop to go to walmart and gander sometimes. The guys asked me once why i went to gander mountain i said the stuff was cheaper. But if i need advice or work done on my stuff i go to his place.
He can take what work i give him or b*tch because i pay stuff at another shop and lose all my business. I have had it happen.
My mom worked at alocal mom and pop outdoor shop. I got everything i bought at dealer cost. which was normaly 30% cheaper. and even lower then what walmart sold the stuff for by 10% or so. 10% profit is better then wanting 30% and getting none.

Though they did pay far more for say rifles then walmart or cabelas.
ORIGINAL: scott26

Stubblejumper,

That was kind of the point to my post. It is a shame more people dont support the smaller folks.However, the big retailers are the avenue that causes the problem.

Briman,

I disagree. The big retail stores are not playing on an even field. When BP/Wal-Mart/Cabelas goes to a company, say like remington, and says we will take 400,000 boxes of XXXXX over the next year, they get a certain price. When the shop on the corner goes to Remington and says I will take 40 boxes of xxxx over the next 6 months, they get the same product at a substantially higher price. This allows the chain stores to sell at a lower price but still make a substantial profit.

Small business owners cant control that.