HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why I dont like cabelas.
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why I dont like cabelas.

if the mom and pop stores can not keep up with low prices they should close.
I went to a local gun shop guy wanted 600 for a tc triumph. A local store own and ran by a old woman also wanted 600 for it. I found it online for 469 from a small shop down south shipped to my door.
I have talked with three differnt people from cabelas lately they all seemed to know there stuff. In fact the last three small shops i have been to knew nearly nothing.
ORIGINAL: scott26

I spent most of my teenage years working at a small mom and pop tackle shop here in my hometown. My boss taught me that taking care of the customer always came first and to be knowledgeable about the product in effort to better serve the customer .

It seems so many of us get caught up in the mega displays, waterfalls, and taxidermy that we inadvertantly have driven the small mom and pop hunting/archery/tackle stores slowly out of business. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Wal Mart buy product by the boatload to help keep the prices they offer to the consumer down. This is there biggest asset as teaching the customer about the product and helping them to use it more effectively has become a lost art. I am not saying the big business chain stores do not have any knowledgeable employees, but you certainly have to look harder for them than at the small shop on the corner.

It is sad to see many big wig retailers get richer putting the small town shops out of business.When a new Cabelas or BP comes to town, sure they employ many part-time highschoolers, some retiree's and a handfull of managers, but they effectively close the doors on other smaller shops that care far more about the community and have more LOCAL knowledge.It surelyhappened in mine.

I am not knocking anyone for shopping at these places, but I certainly know where my dollar is most loyal to. I will pass on the waterfalls and aquariums.

Just another guys opinion. Thanks

Scott