HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2008 Upland Hunting Contest Sign-up till Aug. 31
Old 08-31-2008, 06:51 AM
Edcyclopedia
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Upland hunting contest???

ORIGINAL: Wlfdg

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

Somebody say ya or nay on the dogs. If nobody else is up for it, Ill have to drop it Ed
What is the deal on dogs? My dog isn't a bird dog. He flushes really well and I'm heading out on Monday.
No harm boyz, I am just wondering if anyone has a dog that...
#1) Helps find downed birds?
#2) Points or flushes birds?
#3) If it's a pointer, does the dog's posture give an indication on the direction of the bird, so it allows you the time
to set-up in the best possible spot and get you ready on your safety?
#4) If the dog is a flusher, does the dog flush the birds toward you instead of away from you, that's a nice option - right?
#5) Does a dog go into the thickest cover for you, while you what comfortably in a field or trail for the signs from the dog, this surely adds to fatigue along with the anticipation (read my avitar, this is where I get it from)?

A little story... When I go to the local trap range once or twice a year to tune up before bird season. I get into position and look down at my gun held in the manner of how I hunt in the field, which is cradled in my arm with the barrel pointed towards the ground in a safe position. Now I don't know anyone at this range, and I always have a few shooters explain how "proper" form is for trap. You know, with the gun shouldered and pointed down the trap range direction "readied" for the clay to come from the trap house. So I like to explain that the birds I hunt, don't let me know their there, and how can I practice the closest possible "moment of surprise" by looking and knowing where they are? Well, unfortunately the surprise is not there, as I can plainly see the trap house, but by looking down at my gun and not knowing what direction the clay can come out from and/or the additional time it takes to bring your gun up to your should and focus on the target makes it a bit harder - aye?

Hopefully this shows a few of the benefit's of dog hunting verses stalking birds by foot?
* I simply brought it up for these reasons and really don't care, I am not picking an arguement,
just suggesting something that can effect the outcome differently on points etc...
Whatever everyone chooses is fine with me!