HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Take Down LB Build a Long
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Kanga
Giant Nontypical

Default Take Down LB Build a Long

Class for today’s lesson we are going to make a Take Down Long bow.

First of all you have to determine, which Take Down you want to make, as there are 2 basic designs in Take Down Long bows.

First there is the “Shallow” take down which could be also described as your straight limb long bow.

The second is the “Pronounced” take down which could also be called the Reflex/Deflex Long Bow.

Ok so for this excersise we will make a “Pronounced” Take Down.

Now the first thing we will have to do is build a form to make the limbs.

We will start off with a piece of 2” x 12” x 33” board.

Now we have to mark out the limb shape we want.

At this time we will also mark where our brackets are going to go.

Then it’s over to the old trusty Band Saw and very carefully cut out what we don’t want.

As you can see I cut close to the line on the top section of the form but left more on the bottom. The reason for doing this is the bottom has to be exact and square, where as the top is not all that important as there will be an air hose between the top of the form and the limbs.

Now take the bottom over to the “spindle” sander and very carefully sand down to the line all the time checking to make sure you are sanding it square.

Here is the bottom all ready for the next step, which is drilling the holes for the brackets.

The 2 top holes for each bracket are 3/8” and we will also need some ½” ply on either side of the holes as a spacer.

The hole in the bottom of the form is ½” and yes you guessed it some ½” ply as spacers either side of the holes.

Here is the form with brackets installed.
The only thing left to do to the form now is to install a pressure strip (formica) to the bottom section of the form, but as yet it has not arrived so I will come back to that later.

So now while we are waiting for the pressure strip and a few other parts to arrive, we will make some Riser templates.

First on a piece if 1/2 “ ply we mark out the shapes we want.

Then it’s once again over to the old trusty Band Saw to rough cut the shapes.

As you can see I have left a lot of wood on the outside of the drawn lines, so it's time for the spindle sander.

Here we are all sanded to the shape we want.

That will conclude today’s lesson,

I hope you are all taking notes as there will be an exam at the end of this course.[8D]