HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get?
Old 05-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get?

I don' t have any experience with the sheridans you mentioned, but I' ve been around a couple others from time to time, and from what I' ve seen, those single cock/pump ones aren' t worth diddly even though some cost as much as a dang good .22lr rifle. Maybe right out of the box they' re ok, still pretty weak compared to a Crossman 10pumper, but they die quickly, after about two-three months of having one you can watch the BB in flight. I' ve had my crossmans a Pumpmaster and a powermaster or something like that, for going on twelve years for one and a decade for the other, the only thing I' ve done to them is oil them and open them once each to blow dust out of them. They still shoot as strong and as accurately as ever, I can hit the bottom of a pop can at 50yrds every time and they' re stout enough to penetrate out there with BB' s (with $8 tasco 4x glasses on them). I' ve shot rabbits at 25-30yrds, and that' s getting out there, even when using pointed pellets.

Those NRA air rifle match rifles are pretty good, but as much as they cost, I wouldn' t buy one, for what I use it for, a little less accuracy is fine by me, considering for the price of those rifles I could get a couple Marlin 60' s! I think My crossman' s are like $60-80 nowadays, and for what it' s worth, they' re worth every penny.

I doubt you' ll find ANY .177 or .22 air rifle that will hit a mouse sized target for you at 40yrds, even off a bench, that' s asking a WHOLE LOT.