HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA
Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 PM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crossbows introduced for regular archery season in PA

Buck Hunter1

I'm sorry but there is not a gentle way to say this. You were way out of line criticizin Greg for the way he handled a couple of tresspassers. He exhibited a huge amount of patience when he tried to help them by telling them where the deer went when he could have simply thrown them off the property. Something many of us would have done immediately. The fact that they had brand new crossbows is a valid point in this discussion.
It's valid because there is a real concern about who will be attracted to the crossbow. Lets face it, killing a deer with anbroadhead is far more challlenging than killing a deer with a bullet.

Lets look at the similarities between a crossbow and a compound or recurve

1 They all kill by the use of a cutting edge causing either hemmorage (bleeding)or a bilateral pneumothroax (collapsed lungs). The shock imparted by an arrow (or bolt) is not a factor in it's killing ability

2 Shot placement is crucial with all weapons propelling a broadhead so knowledge of deer anatomy is far more important than for a gun hunter Many places in a deers body that would be a sure kill with abullet are a recipe for disaster with a broadhead

8[/size]9 Almost all broadhead hits will require some tracking skills
becasue the deer usually runs off

4All of them require that the hunter get relatively close. Yes, the stickbow usually requires that you be even closer but the compound and crossbow have about the same effective range which is somewhere around 10-20% of the effective range of a good deer rifle

So far this could have come from any crossbow proponent trying to get them into archery season right?

Now lets talk about the differences

1 A crossbow does not have to be drawn in the presence of the game
BIG advantage when working closeto avery cautious animal

2 a crossbow is held in the cocked position eliminating the possibility of drawing only to have the deer get behind an obstacle and having to let down and risk exposing yourself to the deer. another advantage over other bows

3 a crossbow is easy to shoot accurately (within its range) without much practice or dedication. another advantage over other bows

4 crossbows are very noisy compared to compounds but not any faster
a disadvantage to the crossbow hunter

OK having said all that, one might think I'm pushing the crossbow but here's the problem as I see it. Hunting with any bow, vertical or horzontal requires a significantly higher degree of dedication and commitment for one to hunt responsibly with any of these weapons.

I and many other would argue that the Pennsylvania hunters that are willing to put forth the commitment and dedication required to hunt with any of the aboveare already hunting with the compound and long and and recurve bows that are now legal.

So who would go for the crossbow and why? The physically challenged already have the crossbow. So who else? It is valid to be worried that because it is relatively easy to shoot, the crossbow might attract those looking for the easy way into the season. The guy who "doesnt have time to practice a lot" ( translation: WONT MAKE THE TIME) Mandatory meaningful bowhunter education would go a long way toward eliminating this worry.

Gregs story sounds like a pair of the type of guys that we ALL should be worried about. Jerks come in all sizes and shapes and yes there are jerks like that carrying compounds and recurves too. Gregs jerks happened tio be carrying crossbows so it was valid for him to relay the story as it happened. I would argue that mandatory bowhunter ed would have either discouraged the two jerks from ever even buting the crossbows or perhaps started them out better prepared so that the wounded and unrecovered deer situation mightnever have happened.

You need to re read his story what you wrote back to him and ask yourself how you would have handled the situation if those jerks walked in on your hunt. I think if you can be honest with yourself you'll betyping Greg an apology