HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spotting deer in PA?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
DennyF
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spotting deer in PA?

We used to drive around a bit after firearms deer season started (was buck season back then) and spot a few places about the middle of the firstweek.

Made foran interesting comparison how much deer behavior, locationsand movement had changed, since the Sunday night before the season started and they hadn't been subjected to all thathuman presense for several days, not to mention having been shot at.

PAbanned all spotlighting once firearms season starts and the ban extends through the end of ANY extended firearms seasons (where applicable), probably to make it more difficult for someone to jacklight a deer during the season, but I kinda miss those short trips to observe deer aftersundown,once the season had started.

I don't usually start spotlighting until late October and mostly enjoy it the 3 nights at camp prior to opening day. As for locating bucks, I've personally never seen it pan out. Far too many timeswe saw bucks nearby Sunday night and never got a glimpse of them again, once the season opened the next day.

One year there was a dandy buck hanging around the farm down the road from camp for several weeks prior to the opener. All 3 boys and the farmer were excited about the prospect of getting a shot at him Monday morning. Sunday night when we spotlighted, the buck wasin the apple orchard next to their house. By dusk on Monday, dad and the boys were all disgusted that they hadn't seen him. Made 'em even more disgusted when I told them where the rascal had been about 10PM the night before.