HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any Iowa hunters out there?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Robert L E
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any Iowa hunters out there?

Bugs is right......there are no big bucks in Iowa. Those people who publish the record books are just hacks from the chamber of commerce who want to attract tourism (hunting) dollars.

Seriously though- Try to make friends with your neighbors and at work. By going fishing or small game hunting you may over time be invited deer hunting. I have found that deer hunting groups are kind of like closed circles and it helps to be born into them (just ask my sons and my buddy's son). I have also known those who marry into a deer hunting group. People do get in though through friendship though.

If you want to go it on your own The "Iowa Sportsman's Atlas" has maps of the entire state, dirt roads an all public areas included. If you are hunting does, permission can sometimes be obtained by knocking on doors. Start early by asking to fish in a pond then perhaps at a later time fit deer hunting into a conversation. It can be done, most residents do not spend a lot on deer hunting (in terms of access fees).

Bob

P.S. Outside of the regular gun seasons may offer better opportunities to a newly arrived hunter. i.e.- bow, muzzleloader, or late antlerless gun season