HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk rack shipping, flying..
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
elkhuntinut
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk rack shipping, flying..

OK here is what I do and it usually helps when you have more than one going to camp

ON THE WAY OUT : Most airlines let you check two bags and take a carry on with one personal item. For my checked bags, I check my bow case (which has all my calls in a zip lock bag)and a cooler which is duct taped shut that has all my hunting clothes & boots in a garbage bag along with a roll of duct tape. If they open the cooler to inspect it, they will re tape it shut. My personal item is my video cam along with the GPS, small pocket camera, and Rangefinder. I utilize my Badlands 2200 as my carry on which holds my bino's and other personal items.

Now if others also do this you will have more than one cooler. Usually two coolers will bring back one elk that has been cut and wrapped.

ON THE WAY BACK : Now where we go, there is a place in town (and you have to check around first) that build custom boxes for shipping. Check with the meat lockers or the local taxidermist as they ship alot of large items and would know of these places in your area. If we do get an elk, what I do is go to a local hardware and buy some garden hose. Cut the hose to fit over the tips of the antlers and tape them on there. This will protect the tips. Then I take the horns to a local shipping house and ship my horns and my clothes in one box home...keep in mind, don't just use your clothes as packing, you will need more than that. Personally we utilize Fed Ex as it there rates are less than that of UPS, and like UPS, have the ability to track the packages. Then I pick up my meat and fill my coolers and check that as my luggage. Keep in mind, the meat must be frozen as airlines will not allow you to use dry ice. With my dad always going this gives us two coolers out. If you need an additional cooler, then you can ship your bow back, and buy another cooler to pack. Keep in mind that usually an cut, deboned, and frozen will fill 3 coolers. So this year with only two of us, I may still have an extra baggage fee. However, to me, its important that I get my meat home first....gotta have a good steak while waiting for everything else

Last year I did ship back my bow, anters and clothes and the cost was about $100, way less than the airlines charging me an additional $300(extra coolers & antlers).

Keep in mind that most airlines are charging for $25 for your second bag regardless of weight. If it is over 50lbs, that is an additional $50 and the third bag may be as high as $125 ! I do know that United Airlines is charging $15 for the first bag, and $25 for the second.

Hopefully you found this somewhat useful and good luck to all this season !!!! Lets hear those elk huntin' stories