HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbow+Coyotes in Los Angeles County
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
agooga

Default Crossbow+Coyotes in Los Angeles County

I live in the hills near the national forest boundary in Sun Valley (just north of Burbank). Lately my neighborhood has been overrun by coyotes. They are far more numerous and bold than in years past. Many neighbors are losing pets (including us), and many neighbors (including us) have small children.

My wife watched as three coyotes ambushed our cat last thursday and carried her off. This was at 11 am while she was walking our German Shepherd (on leash) right in front of our home. Our daughter plays around the house, and it is becoming more routine for packs of coyotes to hunt during broad daylight hours.

I am not a hunter, per se, but I am an experienced user of firearms. My question to those that know is: Is it legal to discharge a crossbow or compound bow at a coyote within the city limits?

I know that coyotes are legal non-game, no limit, and a hunting license is required.

Frankly, I'd shoot the buggers with a .223 or shotgun, but for the laws regarding discharge of a firearm.

I'm looking for a legal way to do reduce their numbers and give them cause to rethink using my street as a buffet table.

And, no, I am not an experienced bow hunter-- yet. But I am a quick learner and a safe shooter. Also, my neighborhood is almost rural, there is no chance of injuring a neighbor as long as I use a tad of common sense-- which I will.

Thanks in advance!