HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remember the biggest buck of your lifetime?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Edcyclopedia
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remember the biggest buck of your lifetime?

This is my story of the "one that got away"...
I was 17 years young and it was my second season of hunting. I had asked my father to borrow his Toyota truck, as mine was a big / loud Ford 4X4 and wanted to sneak into my secret spot. I showed up to my spot approximately 20 minutes before legal hunting. This allowed me to get into my stand about 200 yards away as the sun broke over the horizon. As I walked down the foot path about 20 yards, this massive buck jumps out in front of me and stops 10-15 yards from me and starts to stomp his hooves, bobbing his head up and down and continues to snort @ me. I practically crap my pants, as I thought this big buck was going to maul me! I had never heard of Deer doing this so I was a bit scared. Remember back to the begining of the story, I mentioned it was 20 minutes before legal hunting, well that means the gun wasn't loaded and let me tell you I fumbled around my pockets looking for a shell to protect myself. Just as the bullet touched the receiver of my Winchester .30-.30, he gracefully trotted off into the darkness, never to be seen alive bye me again.

There were 3 huge bucks taken off of Lempster Mtn. that year and all of them dressed out over 245 lbs. I truely believe he was one of them, as my buddy's Dad had scored a 228lb. 10 pt. monster that same year and the Deer "that got away" looked very much bigger. It has taken me 20 more years to see another Deer of that caliber and I couldn't catch up to that one either, as he only offer me a running shot during muzzleloader season @ 80 yards, which I declined to take.
Maybe this year!!!