HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another scope question...
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another scope question...

Like the others that have and will post a reply, you have plenty of options in the $300-$400 range. For years, and especially of late, I have struggled to determine the "break" where the quality vs. price optimizes. I think it is about in this range. So whatever you chose, you should be OK. That is the beauty of the scope market for the past 10-15 years or so. Now that some really neat coatings have been developed, there is even more value for your $$$ than 15 years ago or so.

There are certainly fans of this or that manufacturer and scope type ... and no one is wrong. Despite my usual wordiness, the point I try to stress every time on "scope advise' is that you buy the best that you can afford. In my opinion Leupold offers a good value line in the Vari-X II and Vari-X III. I am convinced that there is a quantum leap in very low light performance and contrast between the two and would hold out for the Vari-X III.

I am a big fan of the Zeiss Conquest right now. It is pricier than what appears to be your range, but if you can go Vari-X III you can probably go Conquest. Take a good look through one of these if at all possible.