HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Blue Moose CO
Spike

Default RE: Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Scott, most of this list has been posted, but here's my 2 cents.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you will be actually hunting the Weinimuche. That is some serious backcounrty stuff, and not some place you will be driving back and forth from each day. If I'm wrong, I appoligize.

Your best resource for finding places to go is to talk directly to the DWM (game warden) and the Biologist in that area. I think Scott Waite is still the Bio in that area. Look @ CDOW website for contact info. They will point you in the right direction. Now remember that they will be talking to hundreds or even thousands of hunters, wanting to know "where"s the Elk at?". Try to ask them specific questions about specific areas/access points.

Once you get to the area, try talking with other hunters in the area. Stop off at their camps and shoot the s__t for a while. Most hunters love to talk elk hunting, w/ someone new to it. Take it with a grain of salt and try to filter out the b.s., but you can get some really good info from your fellow hunters.

Purchase a San Juan National Forest map from the USFS ($6-$10). Also request a travel map (should be free) of the San Juan NF. This is not the same map as the first one. You will see the diff once you look at them.

As forbasic equipment, your doing pretty good. Good (broken in) boots, warm clothes (layers), handwarmers, hunters Orange (500sq in), and a comfortable pack are essintial. Pack what you need and not what you want. 1 lbs = 5lbs when you get a mile from the truck at 9500 ft.

At a minimum you should have these items.
Hunting equipment : - 10x40 compact binos (good quality)
- Bino system (for carrying binos)
- Wind checker (scentless powder - baking soda, commercial stuff, etc) - use it constantly
- Elk call - mouth and handheld - (Hoochie Mama) you need both(hard to shoot w/ one hand) - learn to use them BEFORE going to the woods.
-Hydration pack or water bottle(S) - very important, even if in shape.More h2o the better-AltitudeSickness, fatigue, excitement.
-Shooting sticks/rest - Off hand shooting is for the movies, and you don't always have a tree or rock to set on.
- Good knife set w/quick sharpener. Elk hide/hair is thick and tough, especially a big bull!
- Range finder

Keep up on the excerise progam, that will make your trip so more enjoyable. Just remember, it takes a lot of hard work to get that shot of a lifetime, but it takes even more hard work (A LOT MORE), after the shot, to clean and pack that elk out.

I hope this helps!

Blue Moose CO