HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Prior to the Contest Sign ups, HNI convicts poacher
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default Prior to the Contest Sign ups, HNI convicts poacher

I know many of you including a former member really gave me a lot of heat for posting a thread about an alleged poacher/cheater in our last years contest. A member (who will remain nameless) for now head shot a buck with a high powered rifle and then tried to pawn it off as a bowshot kill and enter it into the contest. Well several members called foul and I highly agreed, called him out and lie as he tried, we deemed it false, DQ'd him.

Well after that a length thread berating me ensued and I all but backed out of the contest (and you know who you are). I figure if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem and at least one of the problems is no longer with us.

After that thread a, I'll call him an outstanding member and won't name him (he knows) took it upon himself to contact the appropriate authorities and low and behold they looked into it and not only did the alleged poacher/cheater get convicted, so did several other members of the hunting party.

Here is the PM I received:

Rob, I had a call from wildlife officer from Alberta. i had called them about the young fellow that was DQ'ed in the contest. Turns out he actually shot all three deer posted illegally plus 2 other hunterswere convicted in the investagation. Snowballed into pretty big deal.
He got $5000 dollar fine + 3 years suspention of hunting prevledges. $1200 each for the oother two and one got 1 yr susp. also he is required to write a 2-300 word essay about what he did and how it was wrong the wildlife officer maybe contacting you about this essay to post it on the web site. Part of the judgement gave him publishing rights to the essay. His name is (deleted for privacy).