HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much lead on a running hog?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Zoomer

Default RE: How much lead on a running hog?

Actually a great question. At one of the the ranges where I shoot they have a "running" deer target. It's on tracks, made of plywood and it crosses at about 60 yards. There are safe zones in which to shoot (between two orange poles. This "deer" shoot usually takes place right before opening day.Usually we get 5 guys to a squad bet heavily and get 1 shot each for all the money and bragging rights. Usually there are 50 or so guys at this shoot and it's hilarious. My observationsare as follows.

1. 75% of the shots are clean misses
2. 10% of the shots blow an antler or a hoof off.
3. 15% of the shots could be scored as kill shots.

Guns used are all shotguns or muzzleloaders. (No rifles allowed for hunting where this range is). I have found that no lead is required so long as you swing your gun through the shot. Ask any accomplished skeet shooter what happens when you stop swinging - miss every time. That being said some skeet and trap shooters follow a sustained lead and some shoot a swing through lead - when the sight picture look s right slap the trigger. It's a great game with clay targets. On pigs or other live game it becomes more complex.With a rifle (shooting 2500+ fps) a 100 yard shot I would expect to have no lead.