HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much lead on a running hog?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Mountain Cur
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much lead on a running hog?

I really can't say just how much lead, but there has to be a little I think. The key is you have to keep swinging through the target. Another key is you have to have your mind made up that you are going to kill that animal. Example, we were running dogs one time and I had a doe tag, but I had plenty of deer meat for the year, a big doe came running out across a meadow and there was indecison in my mind, guess what,I missed.Back in the mid 1980's I killed a lot of deer with running shots. This was back before leasing became so widespread and before so many folks started moving out of towns and dog hunting was done without the problems that plague it today. The weird thing about most of the shots that I made back then, (andI made some pretty unbelievable ones) was that after the successful kill I would think back and try to remember exactly what I did and I really couldn't say. It was more of "feel" thing, but even though it was a "feel" thing I always knew when I pulled the trigger if it was a good shot or not, don't ask me how I knew, but I just knew. As kids we pretty much grew with a gun in our hands and we were always doing some type of shooting, there is something to be said for constant practice and skeet or clay shooting is good practice. Even though you don't have the precision with a shotgun versus a rifle, it teaches and reinforces good form and follow-through. So I would say practice any time you get the chance. I joined a 15,000 acre lease this year that runs dogs, but the rare thing about this lease is they don't have to worry about public roads or peoples houses. I don't know how I'll stack up to what I used to be able to do (I haven't dog hunted in years), but I absolutely will not take a shot thatI don't have confidence in.