HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7MM Remington Magnum
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7MM Remington Magnum

I think few would say somethings wrong with this cartridge, the problems of the cartridge come when its compared to other cartridges, of which many think are better than this one. I think the problem extends from it being right inbetween the .270win and .300 win mag, may claim either of these are better for one reason or another....kinda the middle child syndrome.

But its certainly a round that can get the job done, I think for hunting, 160grs is the way to go with this round, the 175gr loses its flatness, can go down as well, 140grs....something in the 140-160grs I'd choose, but when it comes to magnums I feel like it should be flinging some lead.....so 140 feels too light to me, 175 too heavy/not flat, 160grs ideal. Someone posted a while back that I believe his 7mm with 140gr barnes TSX was his pefect load....

So again no inherit problems with the 7mm rem mag, but its always going to be a comparison negative....do i want the extra kick? extra weight w/ 26" barrel needed over a .270? or If I'm going to shoot a magnum, shouldn't i get a magnum, ie .300mag guys saying if you're gonna haul the weight etc, might as well be launching a bigger bullet faster.....

So if you like the round/and rifle its going in, I wouldn't worry about it, but if wondering....the comparison questions...then thats something to consider.