HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What scope do you have/use?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What scope do you have/use?

I have four Leupold 3.5-10x 40 mm VariX III scopes on my four centerfire hunting rifles (.243, .25-06, and two .30-06) (actually one is the updated VX-III, but I'm not seeing that as a major difference). From all I have read, Leupold is a reliable scope manufacturer. Their warranty is said to be totally reliable. My expectation is that I would be able to get my scopes worked on just about anywhere in the US. The specification of these scopes suits all the hunting I do and expect to do. I have found that these scopes provide plenty of light for the legal hunting conditions I encounter -- 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. In fact, what I find is that my naked eye vision begins to fail (can't see to distinguish game in the field) at a point where I am still able to use the scope to aim and target game. The 10x is plenty of magnification for ~300 yard shot on pronghorn antelope, my most petite quary. If I ever get a .338 Winchester Magnum I'm liable to get a Leupold with a little lower magnification range, maybe 1.5-5x, or something like that.

Nothing against other scope manufacturers. I have high confidence that these scopes are going to do the job for me. I don't need more brightness or sharper optics or an attachment that cooks eggs benedict for me.