HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 08:04 PM
scott26
Fork Horn

Default Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Greetings all.

I will be going ELK hunting this year near Pagosa Springs, CO. I am from south Florida and have never seen an elk let alone hunted one.Have done lots of deer hunting and amnot new to the woods. (although this will be verydiffrent I am sure) I will be staying with an uncle who does not hunt. I have been trying to gather information for the past month in preperation. Heres some of what is planned so far (random list) and any further help/suggetsions on any aspect of the hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Gear: 7mm Rem mag with 165 nosler part.
Backup- 308 with 180 nos part.
Lots of heavy camo. Lots of coolers
Handheld GPS with topo
Good knife kit.

I have ordered a trail guide book the the Wenimuche wilderness area that I will be hunting and have been studying Google earth. Unfortunately will have very little time to do any actual scouting due to work/vacation time.

I will bepurchasing an over-the-counter bull tag and will hunt gmu 77 and 78. Will hunt 2nd season Oct 18-26.

Read two books on elk hunting from credible sources.

Have started an exercise routine that includes lots of walking with a heavy pack.

I am real fired up but am also thinking this will be a big task. Again, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks again

Scott