HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How would you hunt them?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 PM
broncobilly

Default RE: How would you hunt them?

personally, I prefer hunting with dogs. Some of the reasons have to do with the conditions where I hunt. With dogs, I have a one intwo or one in three chance of getting a hog, without dogs I have about a 1 in 1000 chance of getting a hog. In other places, where they have a denser hog population, the odds would be different, but here, where there are approximately 200 hogs fairly evenly scattered over 200,000 acres, any method that does not include dogs is not very productive. But I think the main reason I prefer dogs is just that I enjoy watching a well trained dog bay up a big, mean hog. It probably helps that they are my dogs.

As regards snook384's description of hunting with dogs, while that may be the norm where he hunts, and with the people he hunts with, I do not think that description would fit in the majority of cases. I have only been hunting hogs with dogs for 18 years now, and I have only hunted west of the Mississippi, but I have never yet met a dog owner who would allow you to hunt over his dogs if you had been drinking. Nor have I ever met a dog owner who would allow you to use a shotgun while hunting around his dogs.

Hunting with dogs is not for everyone. You do have to be fairly fit so you can get to whereever the dogs bay up the hog. You also need to be a pretty good shot, and be able to place your shots quickly and accurately while under stress, or be willing to catch the hog by hand and stick him with a knife. But for those who have what it takes, it can be an adrenaline rush like nothing else.

Bill