HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best powder for 7mm-08
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2002, 01:58 AM
BigBob

Default RE: Best powder for 7mm-08

F4YG,
I have tried most of the powders indicated in the postings as well as several others. The two best powders I have found in my Rem. 700 and my daughters Win M-70 are the Winchester 760 and Hodgdon's Varget. All testing was with the 120, 130 and the 140 grain bullets. In the 140 grain we worked with the Sierra SBT, Nosler Ballistic tip as well as the Partition. These two powders were better than any other powder tested. Of the two, Varget gave better accuracy. I donot particularly like ball powders and the Varget burned a whole lot cleaner. Plus Varget is not sensitive to temperature changes. Over a three year period, averages of ten shots varied only 19 fps from the hotest to the coldest temperatures we had. That ranged from 100 degrees to the upper teens. The point of impact didnot vary at 100 yards. Because of these test results, I've switched all my loads to Hodgdon extruded powders. I hope that this is of some help. One more thing, in all the rifles I'm using Varget in, they all seem to like charges that are near or at the Hodgdon manuals maximum suggested load.