HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
jake_
Spike

Default RE: any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences?

thanks for the replies. it dont bother me how many posts you have or not. i also am on a car forum and been on there for 8 years. so the more posts the better i think.

anyways, i went ahead and planted my throw and grow stuff along with a sample packet of whitetail institute clover and some of their alpha rack (clover,alfalpha, and chicory.). the plot is mainly the throw and grow stuff.

i put down some 10-10 -10 fertilizer, tilled it real deep (damn too many rocks) raked it clean/ smooth and planted and packed it down good. should be getting some rain here in a day .

i am sorta worried about the fall planting deal, being it is alot of ryegrass. But worse case i can till it over and re do it. also i plan on trying out some WI wintergreens come august , i will till up a small spot and plant and see how that does.

i should state that this food plot isnt a hunting plot. it is about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long, so nothing big..i see how the deer wander in my garden (50 yards away) , so hopefully(probably not) they will hang out at my food plot more. I checked on the plot today and i allready have deer tracks in it, so i am not worried about them finding it

i do hunt on the property that i have this plot on, but my main hunting spot is 30 miles away with my father. I will plant my whitetail institute secert spot there come late august.

my ideal food plot idea on this property my house is on is to have a little corner of a hay field planted in clover(good acre) and this little 20 by 30 foot spot will be my winter food plot spot. but that takes time, this is my first year and boy i have learned a ton and enjoy it!

I will keep you updated on the progess.