HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many have gut shot a deer?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many have gut shot a deer?

I did it just last season. I misjudged/miscalculated an angle on what should have been, and what I initally thought was a chip shot. The deer, which I thought was dead broadside, was canted slightly and was much more quartering to me than I thought she was. The arrow hit perfect for a dead broadside shot, but came out gut.

I thought it was a good solid lung and perhaps part of the liver hit.... but the arrow was coated in nothing but yellow acorn mash. I gave her five hours and then, due to the onset of heavy rains, had to give it a go. It took me over an hour and a half to cover 80 yards, but she was bedded up dead just 80 yards from where I shot her. At times I had no blood at all and had to go on pure instinct and scuffed pine needles. Even after looking at her again... it still looked like a perfect shot... lungs just weren't where they were supposed to be. So it goes.

Broadhead was a G5 Montec. Blood trail was sparse, rain was heavy. When I quartered the deer... I did infact get one lung, the liver and the upper esophagus. Just goes to show that you MUST MUST MUST take your time and be methodical when you blood trail deer.