HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pistol Caliber for Deer
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
CBM SC

Default RE: Pistol Caliber for Deer

I am new to pistol hunting and still have a lot to learn. But I went with an Encore .308 pistol with a Bushnell 3200 2x6x32 scope.

I got humbled quickly and it took me a good 3-4 shooting sessions to get it on good . But I finally got it shooting fist size groups at 100 yrs with 10-12 Ballistic Silvertip 150's. Recoil is managable to me..........pretty brutal while sighting in but not very noticable on one or two shots hunting. I really never thought that I would be able to shoot real long shots(200 or so), but it is amazing how quickly it started coming together (however Idid get the trigger worked). But after some practice............I ended up shooting a small hog at 163 yrds with a crappy rest and rilled it. So I am thinking.......in a shooting house with a sand bag ............200 may not be "all" that impossible !!

I like this gun so much I just orered some custom laminate grips and a Leupold 2x8x32 for it . Supposedly the Leupold is the absolute best pistol scope ..........so we will see !!

Good luck !!!