HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - High Country Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM
trouthunter

Default RE: High Country Mule Deer

"Chime"

I've done quite a bit of mulie hunting with a bow. More than 3/4 of it was late season wintering grounds in Idaho over very open terrain with the other 1/4 done during elk season in high country, therefore I am usually concentrating on elk and just happen upon a mule deer.During the high country adventures, I have had several oppertunities to harvest smaller bucks (spikes andfork-in-horns still hanging with momma doe) but pass on the shot knowing I have more season left to hunt a larger buck with a rifle or the late season archery hunts.

The later season hunting is my favorite for spot and stalk mulie hunting. Usually all the deer are gathered up in bunches, with the bucks persuing does. This gives the bucks HUGE advantages as they have many sets of eyes keeping watch. Troy mentioned belly crawling, and yes,you do a lot of that in the open country between rock and sagebrush to get into a positionfor a shot. I have been busted so many times by the does that it becomed almost humorous at times.

One such instance was a very nice 4X4 mule deer buck I was closing the distance on. I had just spent about an hour belly crawiling up a sage brush filled draw. The buck was oblivious to my position and I had closed in to 60 yards. A large chunk of sagebrush 20 yards in front of me looked very appealing for a shot spot, so I started slipping up to it. 5 yards into the crawl I looked to my left and came eyeball to eyeball with a doe bedded down 10 yards from me. Neither of us had any idea of each others presence, but she took off licketty split taking the buck with her.

So far Ihave not had success harvesting a good buck with my bow and settle for a doe the last days of the hunt to fill the freezer. What I do have is many great experiences like the one mentioned above.

There is one tacticI have yet to employ but heard it was successful during the late season. From personal experience, you come across a group of deer and you spot each other. They seem to know what distance is "out of range" and just keep on with business as usual as long as you do not encrouch them. I have heard of guys setting up on a draw and have a buddy slowly walk the deer to thier position in a "push".

Another almost hair brained idea is to hide behind a silluette of a moo cow. The late season the deer are often mingled in with herds of cows, and I'm told you can hide behind the silluette cutout and get into shooting range. This one I'd have to see it to believe it

I have a friend of mine that asks ranchers to sit on thier haystacks in late season. Deer come in for the easy pickin's offering a chance at the occational buck.

I have heard of guys that have rattled mulies in during the rut, but have not tried this approach myself. I'm sure a decoy could also prove successful.