HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mixed breed dogs-Good Hunters????
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Breachin

Default RE: Mixed breed dogs-Good Hunters????

This may come off weird but all dogs are have a natural talent to smell anything! I got 11 great danes 8 of them are pups. Anyhow, these dogs were used primarlily for big game hunting and royal family guardians back in the day. My thing about dogs and hunting are its fun to have a retriever dog, a coon dog, and a family pet. So I stuck to my great danes. Very powerful dogs weigh in at a massive 205llbs and 42'' to the shoulder. I used to get off my school bus and see King (my pride and joy) come flying down the hill to meet me and knock me over lick me all over the face, he is truly a great dog. Two years ago I started training 2 pups I kept from one of Kings litters to hunt coons. Great Danes are far from stupid so it wasn't as hard as my old blue tick. Really all it takes is time and any dog is going to be a good hunting dog.

Last year I took rufus and spitz (my two hunting dogs) out to lay it to the coons. Let me tell you once they pick up the scent and you let em off the leashes they are way too fast for coon to out run so they will definatley take to a tree. I had one coon that took to the creek and went on for 200 yards and had rufus stumped! Luckly Spitz is a little to smart for his own good and got the scent back, he started barking loud and it didn't take long for me to lose my dogs, so now I'm scared and worried for my dogs and adrenaline kicked in so I ran, ran and ran some more untill I gave up. I was far from home no clue where I was at and no sign of life anywhere. My battery in my light gave out and I was all alone in the dark in these creepy woods. Hearing sounds I never heard before or never payed any attention to. I'm worried I'd never make it back home so I decided to stay put untill morning. I proceeded to make a bed out of pine needles and rocks. While going over this ridge to find some more rocks I hear something approaching me and with a good quickness so my heart started beating my palms got all sweaty and I pulled out my 22mag and was ready to blow somethings head off and here come Rufus all battered and bloody first carrying a leg off a coon and Spitz right behind him with the rest of him. Relieved as I was, still worried I'd never make it back I continued to get rocks and such. Made a cozy little bed and a small fire so I could see to repair Rufus's wounds on his legs. I went to sleep petrified thinking I was going to attacked in the middle of the night. Hours later I was woken up by a bobcat screaming and my dogs barking right back at him as if to say "back off this is my territory" I finally get them to shut up and continued resting and it wasn't long before I was woke up by a friendly face licking me all over it was King. Early morning with all three of my dogs and a coon to show for the nights hard work. Luckily I wasn't as deep into the woods as I thought and was barely over the hill to my house...

P.S if you ever buy one of these dogs I'm warning you they hate small animals but love people you have to introduce them to small domestic animals while they are young or they will end up like my neighbor's chickens... DEAD