HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 13--" Struttin Stuffers "!
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
jmbuckhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 13--" Struttin Stuffers "!

Team "Struttin Stuffers" score again. But it won't be enough to win this contest.

I finally got a bird to come within range. This has been the tuffest year turkey hunting I and a lot of guys I know have had. I roosted a couple of birds last night. I heard the most gobbling ever with birds going to roost. They didn't quit till 8:45. So I was pumped for the morning. The closest one I roosted started gobbling at 5:20. He gobbled pretty good on the roost and then flew down the hill (I was on top of the hill, where he likes to strut). I called him back up, but he was one ridge over from me and would not budge. He would gobble every once in a while and then moved off.

I then went after 2 others that were gobbling down the ridge. By the time I got there they had moved off to the neighbors field. I could see them strutting in the field with 2 hens, one hen had a beard too. I watched them until they moved off into the woods.

I then went back up to get my dekes and move to another area. I figured I would give one more call to see if anything was in the area. Before I was was done the birds cut me off, and they were CLOSE, just over the rise of the hill. I sat down next to the closest tree, which was about half as wide as me.In a couple of seconds three jakes came running over the hill. With the weather supposed to be nasty tomorrow and that being my last day I figured I might as well end it. At 25 yards the lead jake went down in a heap and never even flopped.

He scores 31.625.