HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what happens when
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Black Stick

Default RE: what happens when

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Shooting an over spined arrow is not dangerous at all. Many people do it on a regular basis with no problems.

The issue with overspined arrows is that they magnify form flaws and equipment setup problems. Out of a properly set up bow, they will fly just fine, however they will have a tendancy to wander if you don't do your part.

As a general rule, you should really try to get your arrows spined properly. This will give you the most forgiving arrow setup for your bow. If you can't get them spined perfectly, then you are better off being overspined than under.
I agree with this, but I have one more tip for you to get the best accuracy. There is a machine out there that can determine where the spine of the arrow is. At the spine, the arrow is thicker. As you might have guessed, perfectly round carbon shafts do not grow on trees, companies buy carbon fiber in sheets then cut and mold the material into a shaft. Where the ends of the carbon fiber overlap, the arrow will be slightly thicker than the rest of the arrow. This is the spine. If you can figure out where the spine on your arrow is, you can fletch it accordingly. In this way, the spine of the shaft will always be in the same spot when you put it on the rest. I like to line the spine up with the cock feather. I wish that pro-shops and manufactures would do this without being asked, but they won't. You will need to ask. This will only make a difference if you are already shooting 300 in the range. Just a little tip. Take it with a grain of salt.