HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Honest Question: Cow hunts.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Honest Question: Cow hunts.

Hi, I'm Michael Waddell with Gander Mountain and Realtree Outdoors! Today, on Realtree Roadtrips, we're headed to the Matterhorn Ranch, in Fayetteville, Arkansas to hunt Black Angus Cattle. The staff here at Matterhorn Ranch is top-notch, and we're really hoping to get into some great bullhunting action over the next few days!

Fayetteville, Arkansas is home to the Boone & Crockett Club's world record Black AngusBull.

For our first morning's hunt, the staff here at Matterhorn Ranch has us set up over an active feed trough. We're hoping to intercept a mature bull on his way in for a bite to eat. We've got a steady wind out of the Southwest, and we've got our Advantage Max-1 HD blind set up downwind of the main travel corridor. This really is a perfect setup to key in on a great bull!

Matterhorn Ranch is in year 3 of a Quality Cow Management initiative, and it's really paying dividends. Just last year alone, they produced SIX Pope and Young Caliber cows!

After a fewaction-packed days of hunting, we were able to glass several great bulls, but we just couldn't get them into range.

So, we opted to go with the new Primos "***** Steer" decoy system. The ***** Steer is the best cow decoy on the market today, with unparalleled realism and rugged quality.

It wasn't long before the ***** Steer drew in a great bull, and my arrow struck true. We had a great bull down, and we couldn't be happier.

All in all, it was a tough hunt, but the staff here at the Matterhorn Ranch really rolled out the red carpet for us. We're definitely hoping to come back in Heifer Season later this summer!

I'm Michael Waddell, and from myself and the rest of the crew here at Realtree Roadtrips, good luck and god bless!