HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinion on the 223 as a deer hunting cal ?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
DoctorDeath
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinion on the 223 as a deer hunting cal ?

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I know that if you shoot a deer in the boiler maker that you can kill him with a 22 mag......but my question is in your opinion is a 223 cal an ethical and effective bullet to use when hunting deer that weigh up to 200lbs?

dd
DD I know its been boring around here, but you have been here long enough you know exactly what can of worms you just opened.
NOW NOW Rugar YOU KNOW ole dd would NOT start anything ...my reason for posting this Q is that I have found a rifle I think I would like to buy ...its a TCR87 but is chambered in a 223 ...I am not a target shooter and if I bought it would use it to deer hunt ..I have shot a couple of deer before with a 223 but it left the insides looking like jello ....I am fairly proficant with a rifle but have no desire in just wounding an animal ...so I was wondering if the 223 with all the "ifs" was a heavy enough cal. to realisticaly do the job ...so I posed this Q to my buddy's on here .....

dd