HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online
Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 PM
MichaelT.

Default RE: Faxes and Signed E-mailed Copies are exceptable.

All I can say is what I have experienced here in south arkansas...

The law states that an individual can ship ( with a signed copy of the receiving dealers FFL ) to a gun dealer or a FFL holding gun smith address only. The individual does not have to ship from a FFL holding dealer.

Now with that said......

The local BATF agents where you would do business, can and do impose extra restrictions on the dealers to insure proper paper trails. Here locally, every gun I have purchased from individuals online here, or at gunbroker.com, had to come from a FFL holder to a FFL holder. The stores say that the local agent has told them that this is what he expects, so that the paperwork is complete. Because of this, no dealer here will accept guns from non FFL holding individuals. I can gripe that this isn't the law, and I can get mad, but it does no good. Fact is, that if the gun is not sent from a FFL to the local FFL, the shops will not facillitate the sale and I will not get my gun.

So there are laws in place, but there may be further local restrictions that each individual is responsible for knowing BEFORE you buy or sell a gun online in state or state to state.

To be sure, you need to check with one or more of your local dealers to get the facts. It is ultimately your responsibility, since guidelines followed are not uniform across the country. Again, it is your responsibility to know, prior to the sale or purchase.

And in case you are wondering..... yes, I used to be a Federally licensed Firearms dealer.

God Bless

Michael