HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?

That's how I started but after getting a left hand bolt a number of years ago thats all I buy now for a CF. I do have a few right handed bolts still, if a tang safety is used no big whoop but the rem. or mauser side safety's I don't like on the wrong side. My partner on the other hand has just stuck with rights off the left side, his gunsuse tang safety's( browning, savage, mossberg, etc). Have you tried asking your shop or shops to order you a LHer?? Browning is still making Abolts and as of now to my knowledge they are the only browning LH offering for a bolt gun. I suspect eventually the xbolt will replace it but not just yet. As far as the XCR LH it's so new that supply and demand will cause some issues I suspect initially. Another option is gunbroker, gunsamerica, etc though not sure the details required for purchasing/receiving.

Since you mentioned a Ruger #1have you looked for either aMK77 and/or Hawkeye both have LH versions. Nothing wrong with a #1 though, fine firearm indeed if you don't care about not having a mag. Savage is another one with more then a few LHers and Tikka T3's also have numerous chamberings for southpaws.

As far as handicap, if your use to the opposite side bolt throw and the gun fits/functions well for you thats all that really matters. However if you settle you may never be happy either. Only you can make this call...Good Luck!