HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
schoolcraft
Fork Horn

Default Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?

Ok gang....anyone who is a regular user here has probably seen my posts asking for opinions on my "all around" deer/hog rifle.
First of all, thank you VERY much for all the feedback. It's been greatly appreciated.
I've got my rifle choices narrowed down to 2 or 3, but availability seems to be a REAL issue.
The Remington XCR (now available in a left handed model) seems to be completely unavailable to order. Trying to locate a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in a left handed model has gone NOWHERE with the X-Bolt coming out. Its been so frustrating that I've started really considering going with a Ruger #1 in the stainless/laminate model since they're good for lefty's and righty's.......then I got to thinking.

I would say 75% of my hunting has been done with a RIGHT HANDED bolt action rifle....and I've done well with one so far. I'm sure if I ever needed a second shot that I could cycle that bolt just like I've always done quicker than reaching for another round to load into that Ruger #1.

So, I'm just wondering how many left handed shooters/hunters are out there each year using a "backwards" right handed bolt action and if you folks have ever found yourself handicaped doing so.