HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)
Old 04-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Schultzy
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Question for ya, Germ... did you actually scrutinize what part of the shoulder your broadhead went through upon field dressing it? I'm talking about looking at the actual bones after the meat was removed?

The reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of people (and I'm not necessarily say you're doing the same here) say that "I busted through his shoulder", when what they really busted through was the flat part of the scapula where it's a lot thinner. That spot -- though I think it should be avoided if possible simply due to the close proximity of the ball joint -- is entirely "makeable" to me given a setup that's properly tuned with all the projectile's energy focused behind the tip of the broadhead.

If one exactly hits the ball of the shoulder though, I have my doubts on a high rate of success -- if at all.
There's no way possible anyone's broad head is going to bust through the knuckle of the shoulder. Impossible!!!! Germ you made a good shot on a very questionable shot, well done! You knew what you were doing!! I would never recommend just anyone to do this. You better know your equipment damn good if your going to be doing what Germ did. To all the new comer bow hunters, stay away from the shoulder. For me shooting with my recurve, not the greatest of ideas although I could probably get away with it but being its questionable for my set up I will never even think about trying it.